Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Winging It




We live not far from a bird sanctuary. This is, in actuality, a few acres of unimproved land. After 2 1/2 years we had seen a few interesting birds but just had not gotten around to looking for them. So I bought a bird feeder and watched helplessly as the first squirrel that came along dumped the entire contents of the feeder on the ground. After 5 pounds of birdseed became squirrel feed and there was not a bird in sight, I tried feeding the squirrels and the birds. I fed the squirrels and the squirrels and some chipmunks and a few birds. Then came the Yankee Flipper. Now only the smart squirrel eats from the feeder. We have been visited by a number of birds that I have never seen in these parts. Who knew they were here? We have seen cardinals and jays, goldfinches and chickadees, cowbirds and woodpeckers. They come in droves and then there's nothing, then they are back. Some gather together, some will only eat alone. Some come in pairs and one eats while the other watches. If you watch you can see. The Jays are the bully boys of the neighborhood. They fly in and everyone scatters. Like us, they are winging it.

1 comment:

Manda said...

Hey Mrs. GZH,
Remember me? I was Madeline's good friend in high school. We sort of lost touch for two reason. I delvoped skitsofrania (not spelled right) and because I move here to New York. She just found me on facebook. You were always very kind to me and I though maybe you would like to check out my blog. And your right police do follow you so they can give you a ticket. LOL;>)
Hugs,
Amanda